ERICA - EquatoRial Ionosphere Characterization in Asia aims to monitor the ionosphere in the Southeast Asian region to characterize the local features of the Equatorial Ionospheric Anomaly (EIA) and of the Equatorial Ionospheric Trough (EIT) by means of an ad hoc campaign of geomagnetic and ionospheric measurements. The campaign is expected to provide new insights on the ionospheric variability causing space weather effects on radio systems and, in particular, on GNSS operations. The activities are designed and realized in close collaboration with external researchers of Vietnamese and Indonesian institutions that will make available their facilities and competences. The Asian researchers will spend a short research period in the European institutions involved in ERICA, where they will work with the European colleagues so as to share methodologies to be used in the measurement campaigns and data analysis.
The team includes researchers from:
- Istituto Superiore Mario Boella (Italy);
- Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (Italy);
- Politecnico di Torino (Italy);
- Indonesia National Institute of Aeronautics and Space – LAPAN (Indonesia);
- Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (Vietnam);
- Hanoi University of Science and Technology (Vietnam).
Recent news on this project: